Re: [Xen-users] Re: xcp1.0 guest OS installation problem

To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: xcp1.0 guest OS installation problem
From: Chris Petrolino <cpetrolino@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:11:30 -0400
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ljxblessyou <ljxblessyou@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 May 2011 09:14:06 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:references:from:in-reply-to:mime-version:date :message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=+C5hQtB5M0IrynXE02BVQV3b9vc2iusl9pFFoaLytW8=; b=DrR/ngDCenP7w5rPRM6Zq/S7A/nKUxQNl76WF3buBeJWvryeRLi+RHIk7Usjy03Y51 ndDGHgdRdtuoqH81EH4QbfNq8QHJHNJkvWgyQmAfOxkdyh/RAxQALSZBSi9kDRXpYsun as78lp3FtbBohq4z7KaFUrKW0cjcppIGV6KHU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kind Regards,

Christopher James Petrolino

On May 5, 2011, at 11:52 AM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> This and questions like this are better sent to the Xen-users list.
>
> I've added them to the CC.
>
> Thanks,
> Todd
>
> 2011/5/5 ljxblessyou <ljxblessyou@xxxxxxx>:
>> Dear Todd Deshane,
>>
>> Here I have some question about installing the guest OS on
>> XenCloudPlatform1.0, can you help me?
>>
>> Phenomenon 1:
>>
>> Before complating installation of XCP1.0, there presents to insert the
>> supplement Pack CD to install. I insert the CD to install, but the machine
>> answer there is not a valid installation media. After complating the XCP1.0
>> installation, I insert the CD, create a VM from the template “Debian Squeeze
>> 6.0 (32-bit)”, and set “install-repository=cdrom”; but when I start the VM,
>> there presents “unable to access a reqired file in the specified repository:
>> … /xen/vmlinuz.”
>>
>> Question 1:
>>
>> Which linux distro can be installed from CD on as you know?
>>
>> Question 2:
>>
>> Can you send me the new installation guide about install guest OS on XCP1.0
>> host?
>>
>> Phenomenon 2:
>>
>> When I want to P2V the installed Debian Squeeze 6.0 system, I insert XCP1.0
>> CD and boot the machine, there have not any prompt to P2V this system, Only
>> ask me if to install XCP1.0 on this machine.

XCP just like the later versions of Xenserver doesn't have the P2V
option on the media anymore. Apparently the only reason this was kept
so long was for legacy systems that needed a bit of extra help. There
are plenty of 3rd party tools that can help or you can simply fall
back to the old trusty  "dd" method.
I have started some extensive notes on the p2v subject and hope to
share them with the community once I make sure there are no major
flaws in them.