Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0, multiple network interfaces, network-bridge f

To: Jan Vejvalka <jan.vejvalka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0, multiple network interfaces, network-bridge failing to create multiple bridges
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:32:57 -0400
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 May 2011 06:36:55 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=OznRR+tK+5UFK4gBW50EB2pSzPx5zDzqXM/UByARdoQ=; b=isgEBLRwKdQsn8610+pz340n7o2eHo7v28CnQVG9EfSykHR3T4Vq/PGcydBpddQez/ FR1sqBwhq8IXGNryuhYofYqyCddS9+MLZn0nESoL9mXC1GkgX4yr91tynYG61T1x6fZ2 +HrlDqRD/goAWm/cqyQlPw7Gir4u0DI+q7gqk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:49 AM, Jan Vejvalka
<jan.vejvalka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> root@cen:~# /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start netdev=eth0
>>> root@cen:~# /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start netdev=eth1
>>>
>>> only creates the eth0 bridge.
>>>
>>> There is a check in the script that prevents it from creating more than
>>> one bridge:
>>>
>>> (...)
>>> op_start () {
>>> (...)
>>>   if [ `brctl show | wc -l` != 1 ]; then
>>>        return
>>>   fi
>>>
>>> Why ? Is that a bug, a feature, or is it something that came in in the
>>> process of building Xen ? Did I miss something somewhere ?
>>>

>> Networking in Xen 4.1+ has changed:
>> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/MigrationGuideToXen4.1%2B
>>
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HostConfiguration/Networking
>> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.1
>
> I see. But I did not upgrade, I installed from fresh. Does it mean that
> the /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge script is obsolete ?

Yes it is deprecated. It will be much better and more robust to use
the network scripts in your distribution.

Offhand I can't seem to find the slackware documentation on creating
network bridges.

The closest thing I can find is:
http://www.slackbook.org/html/book.html#NETWORK-CONFIGURATION-TCPIP-CONF

Maybe other Xen Slackware users will have some tips?

I've asked on the ##slackware IRC channel on freenode and if someone
answers I can post more info.

A more manual option is to use a tool called brctl (using in a package
called something like bridge-utils)

brctl can be used to add a bridge device and connect it to your
network card (eth0 for example).

brctl is well-documented.

Let us know if you find good slackware documentation for bridged
networking so we can add it to our wiki.

Thanks,
Todd

> Is there some info/example on how to set up networking in Xen 4.1 that
> is not distribution-specific ? So far, the most helpful for me was the
> diagram in http://libvirt.org/archnetwork.html together with the
> network-bridge script itself.
>
> And one more question: how can I tell which document in xenwiki applies
> to which version of Xen ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jan

Todd Deshane