[Xen-users] Source learning problem when using virtual bridge + NIC bond

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Source learning problem when using virtual bridge + NIC bonding
From: William Tu <u9012063@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 00:42:28 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:43:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, I have a question about source port learning when using bonding.
I have bond two interfaces (eth0, eth1) into a single bonding device.
Follow by the http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking. The
topology looks like this:

A            B
    \        /
   switch 1
  /           \
sw2        sw3
  \           /
 bond0 (eth0, eth1)
   vbridge

     VM (mac1)

I setup bonding as balance tlb and alb (without any switch support).
When a VM with src mac (mac1) sends packet to A and B, the bond0 load
balances the packets by sending it to sw2 at some time and sw3 also.
Then when packets are going back from B->VM, and A->VM, only one port
on switch1 works, because by default the switch do source port
learning.
When there are lots of traffic between VM->A, and VM->B, the switch1's
forwarding table to VM will keep ping-ponging between ports directed
to sw2 and sw3 because of seeing packet coming from both sw2 and sw3.
My question is does this case really happen? and how do we solve it?

Thanks,
William