Re: [Xen-users] Issues migrating to xen 4.1

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Issues migrating to xen 4.1
From: Claudiu Curcă <alexstrasza2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:16:12 +0300
Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 05:18:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=YYB/+wuFK5PzFWAGYCBiTvZtAF/H5oRIG14bokKlTnY=; b=ql4Vmgyxp7ZhCLvTdWOGvTn2rVAIZOAfeZeAUCKjtuGCUOGp0AmwkwlthZUehWHYTi f77mfi+B7PVNTu3zNje1zx1KEzy59DmQLqCue9ZHU6Fy5tenGeIhx5KL3qlylZ+vKowl M4V37egdMz0LAq55GepKOxoi0pzH2zRP4l4Wg=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/4/10 Claudiu Curcă <alexstrasza2@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Sylvain CHEVALIER
> <sylvain.chevalier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We just migrated xen on gentoo on amd64 from 4.0 to 4.1 and
>> encountered a few issues that were not documented. Here is how we
>> solved them and what issues are remaining:
>>
>> 2. We were using bridges to map the 4 ethernet cards to virtual
>> machines so that virtual machines could have their own IP addresses.
>> In xen 4.1, it is recommended to configure bridges by ourselves and
>> not use xend although xend would still work. We could not get the
>> bridges to work and went on using xend. However, the network-bridge
>> script now includes a test: if a bridge already exist, then it would
>> do nothing. The problem with that is that our wrapper script for
>> network-bridge would only create the first bridge. So we had to
>> comment out the test in network-bridge, and it would work. Did anybody
>> successfully create bridges on gentoo?
>> Meanwhile, we found that if a domU is started and tries to access a
>> bridge that does not exist, dom0 would stop working. Shall it be a
>> bug?
>>
> I've also noticed this issue. The test in network-bridge is quite
> lousy, as there could be countless setups with multiple non-xen
> related bridges.
> However, in the brief time I've spent with Xen-4.1 (I've encountered
> other issues, see my email on the list), I've managed to manually
> create a bridge interface.
>
> In the /etc/conf.d/net file, replace your config_ethX (in this case,
> X=1) line with the following:
>
> bridge_add_eth1="xenbr0"
> config_eth1=( "null" )
> config_xenbr0=( "172.18.0.1/24" "2001:470:1f0b:11b9::1/64" )
> brctl_xenbr0=( "stp off" )
>
> Of course, replace the numbers to suit your own setup.
>
> Also, in the /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp, make sure you specify the
> bridge that Xen should use, especially if you have more than one
> Find the line
>
> (vif-script vif-bridge)
>
> and replace it with
>
> (vif-script 'vif-bridge bridge=xenbr0')
>
> This should tell Xen to add the vif interfaces to the xenbr0 bridge.
>
> I hope this helps you out.

Right, I almost missed this one: Don't forget to create the net.xenbr0
symlink in /etc/init.d and also add it to the boot runlevel using
rc-update. If you don't do this, your bridge will not come up.