[Xen-users] Dom0 ignoring custom DSDT (injected through Grub2), cpufreq

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dom0 ignoring custom DSDT (injected through Grub2), cpufreq doesn't work
From: mkbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:21:03 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 07:40:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm running Xen 4.0 on Linux 2.6.32 using the current stock packages provided
in Debian Squeeze. The BIOS of this particular computer appears to have a
rather bad ACPI implementation and doesn't contain any P-states in the DSDT, so
I fixed the DSDT manually and inject it by adding acpi -e /boot/dsdt.aml to my
Grub2 configuration.

This does work perfectly when not booting in Xen mode (cpufreq takes control of
the CPU and the CPU fan spins down after half a minute or so). But when I boot
in Xen mode, I get these dmesg error messages, suggesting that it ignored the
fixed DSDT injected by Grub2 (these are the same errors that showed up in
non-Xen mode before I fixed the DSDT):
[   15.778182] powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
4800+ processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
[   15.778195] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: No compatible ACPI _PSS objects
found.
[   15.778197] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: Try again with latest BIOS.

I already tried adding cpufreq=dom0-kernel to the Xen line in my Grub
configuration, but that didn't do anything either.

Is there any difference in the way the Linux kernel and Xen access the DSDT? If
so, any suggestions on how to get a custom DSDT working with Xen?