[Xen-users] grub2 issues

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] grub2 issues
From: John McMonagle <johnm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:50:52 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:51:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just upgraded a xen server to debian squeeze.

In case it matters xen 4.0.1 is built from source.

Lots of things to deal with.
Have some of it worked out. At least it runs now :-)
Wish there was some real documentation for  /etc/default/grub
In /etc/default/grub
Added
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
To get the domus out of grub.

Need to add something for
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT=

I put in
GRUB_DEFAULT="Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 and XEN 4"
It would be nice if xen were first entry but realistically it is a better
solution.

In debians grub.d/20_linux_xen, it finds ever file in /boot that starts  with
xen and creates a complete set of menu entries for each xen kernel.

xen_list=`for i in /boot/xen*; do
        if grub_file_is_not_garbage "$i" ; then echo -n "$i " ; fi
      done

There are these xen entries in boot.

xen-4.0.1.gz
xen-4.0.gz
xen-4.gz
xen.gz
xen-syms-4.0.1

It creates menu entries for all 5 of these as being a Xen hypervisor.
3 are links and at least work but xen-syms-4.0.1 is not a  Xen hypervisor.

I'm ok with putting in a bug report but what is a good solution?
Is this a generic grub2 setup or is it particular to debian?
Is it safe to say hypervisor ends with .gz? If so at least changing xen* to
xen*.gz would get rid of syms.

John