Re: [Xen-users] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option greyed out on 2.6.32.27 pv-ops Dom0 kernel
From: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:26:06 +0530
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 21:58:04 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=vIjoGlr3sel4I7vcVkBn1+A8mwBT4OOSujVz79G1Yy8=; b=NbIJaFmCcoP08KTTRo9KqSi8cSaTNrkfNJpiityf2RCMMX1dXp9REMHbfuwXhL1DLR KbUO2SKaxm3JdSc3E1ObHEUl1k+aqsXSTYMHvvuqOXvToTkpW312lJ7ecl1IRvGxad2W gpbJvcYyUN6UyeY4mLWSj6bMweXiuGw5PotIE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Most (or perhaps all?) Linux distro can't be installed in
>> > paravirtualized (PV) mode using local ISO/CDROM, so virt-manager does
>> > not allow that option (for simplicity, maybe).
>> I do not agree with you here.I have used KVM and virt-manager also and
>> virt-manager  gives an option to
>> install a PV guest or HVM guest and they use the same ISO which one
>> downloads from the vendors site.
>
> While it's entirely possible that I'm not up to date with latest
> virt-manager, please don't mix different technologies together unless you
> really know what you're saying.
> KVM is mostly similar to HVM. They both require VT/AMD-V. You said you don't
> have VT.
Right I just have seen in my office a machine which uses KVM with VT.
The machine which I have access to is non VT.So I had seen
virt-manager use there.
So I mentioned
> PV is different.
> Now did you REALLY see "virt-manager  gives an option to
> install a PV guest or HVM guest and they use the same ISO which one
> downloads from the vendors site" on a machine with no VT capability?
No I did not (I am not in a position to verify it right now) but I
most certainly will try  it as the machine with VT is in my work place
and is a production server.So to verify for this thread might take
some time.

I am attaching a snapshot in this mail this is on my machine where I
am trying all this on a non VT 64 bit machine.(Which is where I have
all the freedom to do).If you see in the snapshot (taken form this non
VT machine) virt-manager gives an option to install para virtualized
guest.
Which in my case is failing  and is the reason I asked this question here.
It mentions virtualization type xen(paravirt) since this is a non VT
machine so I do not get the HVM option (simply should not).I
personally feel creation of a guest OS should not be that difficult on
a non VT 64 bit machine also.
If the gui does not work then command lines should work without any problems.