Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Mike Sun <msun@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've worked with ZFS a bit, but I'm confused as to how you would use
> it in this case.  How do you go from creating a ZFS volume to using it
> as a raw block device?

>From Zfs Administration Guide
(http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19082-01/817-2271/817-2271.pdf):
A ZFS volume is a dataset that represents a block device. ZFS volumes
are identiied as devices
in the /dev/zvol/{dsk,rdsk}/pool directory.

So a zvol acts just like any block device (partition, LVM). On Linux,
see http://zfsonlinux.org/example-zvol.html. Simply use phy:/ to use
it in domU config file.

Of course, if you use a separate storage server, the dom0 will see
zvols as just another iscsi-imported block device.

--
Fajar