Re: [Xen-users] who comes from kvm?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Mauro wrote:

There is someone that switched from kvm to xen?
If yes what are the motivations?

I run a lot of both.
In my production servers I have a multi-master mysql database
of fairly small size (a few MB) that runs on Xen and
has run fine for years.

I tried to clone this setup in the cloud on KVM.  The same
load from the web frontent, KVM load spikes to 67 and DB freezes
up.  Xen in the cloud runs at load of 5 or 6, quite acceptable.

KVM as shipped with RHEL6 is supposed to be better but I haven't tried
it yet.  But where KVM seems to fall down the most is on complex
heavy disk I/O tasks.  If it is just block read and writes
things are fine.  KVM is also not very good as a Lustre server.
(but it is impossible to run Lustre servers on Xen at all due
to incompatible kernel patching.)

Steve Timm