Re: [Xen-users] Compiling new centos kernel for DomU

To: Rushikesh <rushikesh.jadhav@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Compiling new centos kernel for DomU
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:20:54 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 18:30:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Rushikesh <rushikesh.jadhav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am trying to compile linux-2.6.32 on a DomU centos.

which 2.6.32? vanilla? pv_ops from Jeremy's tree?

> This DomU is a
> paravirt guest. I have Dom0 on centos 2.6.18 with xen-3.0-x86_64
>
> Whenever I do a "make menuoldconfig" it scraps the old config and asks
> me to create a new .config

I usually simply copy Redhat's /boot/config-* to .config, and run
"make menuconfig", adjusting options as needed. However when moving to
pv_ops from -xen kernel, many xen-related options changed, so you'd
ended up having to look at them manualy anyway.

> I tried this on linux2.6.18 as well but there is no change for "make
> menuoldconfig" and it still scraps the old config.
>
> If I build the kernel with default config then it fails to boot with a
> kernel panic on spinlocks.
> I disabled the Spinlock for XEN but still it hangs with a kernel panic
> at disk drivers.
>
> Can someone point me what am I missing ? or is there any good doc on
> compiling a paravirt guest kernel ??

If you're feeling lazy, just install Oracle's enterprise kernel from
http://public-yum.oracle.com/
Their 2.6.32 kernel works for pv domU as well. However, since block
device name becames xvd*, you need to edit domU's fstab manually first
to use LABEL or UUID, otherwise the kernel rpm's postinstall script
will fail to run.

--
Fajar