Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

Guido,
currently I'm performing a "raw" file-level backup of LV volumes.

These are the steps:

1. Pause VM
2. Snapshot LV
3. Unpause VM
4. Use kpartx to find partitions on LV-snapshot
5. Mount windows partition using ntfs-3g
6. Use rdiff-backup over the mounted partition, targeting a backup-storage
7. Umount
8. Remove snapshot

 > What about the windows acls on those files, is rdiff able to include them in the backup?

I'm totally dependent on rdiff-backup for such things. So you can refer to rdiff-backup documentation.
In http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/features.html you can find this:

"Filesystem feature autodetection: People use rdiff-backup in many different environments. The filesystem they want to back up may be on Linux, Windows, or Mac. It may or may not be case sensitive, support characters like ":", have resource forks, extended attributes, or access control lists. Moreover, the file system they are backing up to may or may not support these features.

rdiff-backup tries to handle these situations automatically without the need for switches like --acl --ea --no-ownership, etc. When run it will run tests on both the source and destination filesystems to see what features each supports like case sensitivity, changing uid/gid ownership, resource forks, extended attributes, or access control lists. To see the results of this testing, run rdiff-backup with verbosity 4 or higher, as in -v4."

Roberto.