RE: [Xen-users] Convert existing System to PV

To: Wolf Grossi <wg1@xxxxxxx>, Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Convert existing System to PV
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:54:41 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:55:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are several ways to do it--I've usually gone with a single root
filesystem on a dom0 logical volume.  Rough steps are as follows:

- Install kernel-xen package
- Create a filesystem for the domU, and mount it somewhere
- Stop services on the physical host (so that disk writes are kept to a
minimum) and begin copying files from /, skipping /proc etc.
- Adjust files on the domU image for PV devices:  /etc/fstab,
/etc/inittab, /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-*
- Create a Xen configuration with the correct root fs, xen kernel and
ramdisk
- Unmount the domU FS.  Start the new domU and see what breaks, if
anything.

FWIW, we just tried this on a SUSE 9.4 host.  It was a disaster--the
SUSE kernel-xen package rendered the domU slow and unstable.  We ended
up migrating the services to a CentOS domU instead.

-Jeff