Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:31:54 +0100
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christian Zoffoli <czoffoli@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jia Rao <rickenrao@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:33:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 01/30/11 00:50, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

>>> How sure are you of this? Every write to the original or the snapshot
>>> involves a potential metadata update. If the original is mounted on one
>>> node and the snapshot on another, I'm pretty sure that it would all go to
>>> crap really really quickly.
>>>
>>> Have you actually tried this???
>>>

>> It's widely used.
>>
>> Citrix XenServer (and XCP) do it like that, and also the
>> Xen based VirtualIron did it like that.
>>

> Forgot to add this:
>
> In Citrix XenServer it's the XAPI toolstack that's
> taking care of LVM locking, so only the "pool master"
> is executing LVM commands.
>
> As long as you know you're executing LVM commands
> only from a single node, you're good. No need for CLVM.
>
> I guess you also need to refresh all the other nodes
> after executing LVM commands on the primary/master node.
>
> -- Pasi

I "fixed" this in a way I would like to have your idea on: what I did
was build the iSCSI LUNs on an IETD implementation. Each LUN points to a
LVM LV on this iSCSI server. To avoid worrying about which Hypervisor
will change the LUN, I save the DomU using the particular LUN over iSCSI
and then snapshot the LV on the iSCSI server. After I restore the guest
again and start dd-ing off the snapshot LV.

Rgds,

B.