RE: [Xen-users] Wireless device in Xen Guest

To: "Jui-Ting (Jerry) Weng" <jtweng@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Wireless device in Xen Guest
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:16:37 +1100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:17:42 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I'll double check the NAT configurations.
>
> Right now I can use wireless in DomU. it is just incredibly slow.
>
> I perform the following test through Iperf.
>
> laptop A. Setup an Iperf server at Dom0
>
> (1)
> laptop B. Setup an Iperf client at Dom0, connect to laptop A.
Throughput is
> 2.2Mbps
> (2)
> laptop B. Setup an Iperf client at DomU, connect to laptop A.
Throughput is
> 90Kbps
>
> DomU throughput degrade to 1/20 of the Dom0. Since this only happen on
> wireless card, I was wondering if my configuration is wrong.

One thing to try is to use ethtool to disable all forms of offload in
DomU and Dom0 on the bridge, physical, and virtual interfaces. That
should at least confirm that offload is not the cause.

A simple tcpdump might show you some checksum issues (assuming you use
-s0 to grab the whole frame) but it's often hard to tell as packets can
have no checksum while on the bridge.

James