[Xen-users] Best way to change kernel in DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Best way to change kernel in DomU
From: Thomas Olschewski <to@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:40:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 08:11:05 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

my situation:

xen 3.1
1x Dom0: kernel 2.6.22.19
2x DomU: kernel 2.6.22.19

Now I want to create a third DomU containing an openSuse 11.2. This distributuon is equipped with a PAE-enabled kernel only, while the existing Dom0 and DomUs use kernel without PAE. This leads to a error

xc_dom_compat_check: guest type xen-3.0-x86_32 not supported by xen kernel

Because the 11.2 openSuse is not equipped with non-PAE kernel, I'd like to change the existing Dom0 and DomUs to PAE-enabled kernels as well.

Changing Dom0 was easy. Of course I get now the xc_dom_compat_check errors when trying to start the existing DomUs.

I wonder what the best way is to change the kernel of the DomUs? 2 solutions I am thinking about are:

1. In the config files used for creation of DomUs the loaded kernel is named "vmlinuz-xen" and the initrd "initrd-xen". I could rename filenames of PAE-enabled kernel and initrd to that names in the filesystem of the DomU.

2. I could change the config-files and create new vms.

I'm sure there are better ways for the change of a kernel used in the DomUs. Or should I use one of the two above?

Thomas