Re: [Xen-users] how to create pv domU use xm

To: 立新 牛 <nlxswig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to create pv domU use xm
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:13:44 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:14:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2010/12/16 立新 牛 <nlxswig@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I can't understand what's the extra = "(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst" means

it's only necessary since the example uses pv-grub.
Here's a simpler config file

> whose menu.lst stand for ? dom0 or domU?

domU

> if I want to boot from cdrom, what should I do?

you can't. At least not with any linux distro that I know of.
The usual method to install pv guest is either:
- using network install, or
- using prebuilt OS template

> on the other side, what modifications should I do on the domU kernel src?
> thanks a lot.

on most newer distros, you can use:
- the same kernel as dom0, or
- newer vanilla kernel with xen pv_ops domU support enabled (like
Ubuntu's linux-virtual or linux-server)
- compile yourself, with necessary xen domU support enabled

It's often easier to install domU using virt-manager or other GUI
first, and look at the resulting config/disk image before making your
own.

--
Fajar