Re: [Xen-users] RAM security

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RAM security
From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 18:20:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:21:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you enable the "Scrub RAM before freeing it to XEN" in your DomU kernel, it is always overwritten with (I assume random) data before the pages are returned to the pool of free memory. This should also apply on memory freed by shrinking operations (xm mem-set ...) and of course on DomU shutdown.

You should always enable this option, because cryptographic keys, private data etc. would rest in XEN's memory until either another DomU gets it (and can read that) or the Dom0 shuts down (reboot sometimes even preserves RAM, but the hypervisor is scrubbing all RAM which is not assigned to the Dom0, to prevent readable traces after hard resets etc.).

With correct kernel configuration, the DomU memory should be totally safe.