[Xen-users] XCP 0.5 PXE/TFTP infinite boot loop problem

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP 0.5 PXE/TFTP infinite boot loop problem
From: "Joe Linoff" <jlinoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:33:37 -0800
Cc: Joe Linoff <jlinoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:47:36 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Folks:

I need some help or some hints about how to debug an infinite boot loop for an XCP 0.5 host. I am almost sure that it is pilot error but I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

My test network is configured to PXE/TFTP install xenserver on several hosts by MAC address. I used the template in Appendix B of the installation guide. Everything seems to be working just fine. The PXE boot finds the TFTP server and installs xenserver. The answerfile is successfully invoked. The configuration process completes and everything looks fine but then it reboots itself and the process starts again.

I don’t have access to the console right now (this is on a rack in a remote location) and I had to go home so I am trying to create a setup that will reproduce the problem locally but that will take awhile. For remote debugging I am using wireshark to analyze the dhcp server/xcp host communication which allows me to observe the loop via packet interactions unfortunately I don’t have access to the console. The fact that it setups correctly and uses the answerfile seems to indicate that the DHCP setup it okay.

Here is the syslinux pxlinux.cfg file that I am using. Note that I had to remove the absolute paths from the example in the installation guide to make it work. Also note that I added an extra layer in the /tftpboot directory hierarchy but that shouldn’t matter because TFTP is finding everything.

DEFAULT xenserver

LABEL xenserver

  KERNEL mboot.c32

  APPEND xenserver/xen.gz dom0_mem=752M com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,tty --- xenserver/vmlinuz xencons=hvc console=hvc0 console=tty0 answerfile=http://10.45.2.1/tcc/xenserver/answerfile install --- xenserver/install.img

Here is the one that I intend to use after the host is installed for boots from the local disk:

DEFAULT bootlocal

LABEL bootlocal

  LOCALBOOT 0

Here is the answerfile:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<installation>

  <primary-disk gueststorage="yes">sda</primary-disk>

  <keymap>us</keymap>

  <root-password>tabula</root-password>

  <post-install-script type="url">http://<server>/tcc/xenserver/scripts/post-install-script</post-install-script>

  <admin-interface name="eth0" proto="dhcp"></admin-interface>

  <timezone>America/Los_Angeles</timezone>

</installation>

Here is the post-install script:

#!/bin/bash

# do nothing for now