[Xen-users] Host machine shuts down instead of rebooting

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Host machine shuts down instead of rebooting
From: Truls Asheim <truls@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 21:42:42 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 13:44:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all

I recenty bought a dedicated server with the intention of configuring
Xen on it. However, I've run into a _really_ strange issue:

Whenever i reboot (run reboot or shutdown -r now) the physical host
it shuts down (powers off) instead.

The problems only seems to occur if I actually start a virtual machine.
If I simply reboot the physical machine without starting xend or any
virtual machines it will reboot fine.

So in summary
The following works:

Start physical machine -> reboot physical machine

Result: physical host reboots without a problem

The following doesn't work:

Start physical machine -> reboot -> start xend + virtual machine -> reboot
physical machine

Result: physical host shuts down

I'm using Gentoo with Xen version 4.0.1. I've tried using both Xenlinux
2.6.34-r4 and pvops kernel version 2.6.23.25 on the dom0. They both produce
similar results.

The physical machine is a Core i7 930 with an Intel x58 chipset. The VT
extension is enabled, VT-d is disabled.

Debugging the issue is made more difficult by the fact that I don't have
physical access to the host machine so I have to trouble an on site
technician every time it needs to be started again.

I've done several Xen setups in the past without running into severe
issues like this and i have no clue as to why this is happening. I
don't even know where to begin looking.

Any ideas or pointers are highly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Truls Asheim