Re: [Xen-users] Converting XP SP3 VM to run in Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Converting XP SP3 VM to run in Xen
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 18:35:14 +0100
Cc: Ken Houtz <k.houtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:37:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 25 October 2010 17:33:59 Ken Houtz wrote:
> I have tried every what that I can find to convert a XP VMware image to run
> in Xen 4.0.1 (SUSE 11.3).
>
> I have created a Xen VM form an XP ISO image and have it working fine but
> need to migrate A Tough Book laptop VMware image to Xen.
>
> I have converted a VMDK file to VHD file only to find that it does not
> recognize the image as bootable. ( The VM I have running is a raw format
> when using the iso to create)
>
> I am a newbie with SUSE and Xen,  but it should/cannot be this hard to take
> one image and make it run in Xen.
>
> There are my posts, site on creating a VM in Xen but very little getting
> one to run that was created in VMware.
>
> My limitations are SUSE 11.3 as the host and a Panasonic TB laptop.  I
> realize the VGA pass thru is not complete for the TB, that is not my
> concern at this time.
>
> Any help would be appreciated (white Papers, Web site, anything)
>
> A paper on the Xen .org would help the VMware users test and convert to
> Xen. There has to be a "Xen-Head" out there that has compiled some info on
> this issue. J
>
> Thanks
> Ken  ( looking to convert but it's not been easy)
>
> ________________________________
> This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
> which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
> agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
> message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission and
> delete the message. The contents of this message that do not relate to the
> official business of our company shall be understood as neither given nor
> endorsed by it.

I did this some months ago. Not sure if I remember correctly, but I first
installed the IDE drivers (Google MergeIDE). Than I started the XP Vmware
guest from a Linux life CD. I dd-ed the disk over ssh to the storage for the
Xen DomU (eg: dd if=/dev/sda | ssh dd of=/var/lib/xen/images/xp/disk0.raw).
It should then boot and if not it should be possible to boot it again by the
XP CD and fix the MBR and bootloader.

Good luck,

B.