Re: [Xen-users] SW RAID powered Xen node - knowledgeable feedback much n

To: "office@xxxxxxxxxxx" <office@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SW RAID powered Xen node - knowledgeable feedback much needed
From: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:37:20 -0400
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:39:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adding HW raid would mean an 60% price increase which would lead to 60%
more VEs on the node. Would the 60% increase in VEs count but with HW RAID
be preferable over the SW RAID with less VEs?

Why would adding hardware raid result in a 60% increase in guests? HW RAID won't necessarily perform any better than SW RAID -- particularly depending on your workload -- so I wouldn't count on being able to load up more i/o. I think Linux's software RAID is great, I've used it for years, I've done things like mirror a local SATA disk to a remote iSCSI disk for better cross-box redundancy, I've booted from it, run VMs from it, etc., but I would still almost always prefer hardware raid as long as we're talking about a decent (LSI, Mylex, Intel, Adaptec) controller.

John

--
John Madden
Sr UNIX Systems Engineer / Office of Technology