Re: [Xen-users] any opinions on debian vs. opensuse for Xen?

To: xen@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] any opinions on debian vs. opensuse for Xen?
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 09:14:13 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 06:15:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sam wrote:
On 10/16/2010 01:27 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
I've been getting just a little fed up with the state of Xen on Debian
Lenny - there are a couple of known bugs that lead to periodic kernel
panics - but fixes haven't made it into the Lenny distribution. I'm sort
of waiting to see how things shake out with Debian Squeeze, when it
becomes stable, but...

I have been using lenny for over a year now. I had some lockups at first but I never could tell if it was just on vm that was crashing and bringing the whole setup down. Since I have done cpu pinning and better ram management, I haven't had any problems.
Based on the console errors I've seen when I have a kernel panic, and some of the open bug reports I've seen, I'm guessing that cpu pinning would solve my immediate problem.

But I'm not sure what an effective configuration would be - my current environment has 2 CPUs and 5 VMs (dom0 + 4 domUs) per server. Not sure how to set up the pinning, and I expect there would be a performance hit. So much easier to let the hypervisor allocate CPUs dynamically - if it worked right.

Sam... could you say a bit more about the configuration details of what you're doing re. "cpu pinning and better ram management?"

Thanks,

Miles