[Xen-users] installing hypervisor on domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] installing hypervisor on domU
From: David Grundy <grundyd@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 09:07:54 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 08:40:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello All:

I don't think that this question was ever posed to this mailing list (at least not that I have seen). I am trying to set up a testbed for provisioning customized VMs. The only environment that I have root access to is on a VM running Scientific Linux 5.5 and I was hoping that I could install the Xen hypervisor on a domU so that I can simulate our production environment and have vm creation and destroy capabilities from inside a VM. Is this possible using Xen. I saw this similar question posed here

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-90/run-multiple-xen-dom0s-on-same-machine-821872/

and it sounds as though they found a way to make this work using an evaluation copy of VMWare ESXi. It would be very nice to know if anyone in the community knows of a way to implement this idea using Xen. I tried to naively install xen and xen-libs on my VM and encountered the same result as described at the above link. The VM would come up but xend would not start. Is this even possible. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

David