Re: [Xen-users] Re: How to upgrade to Xen 4.0.1 on Centos 5.5 ?

To: Bob Sauvage <bob.sauvage@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: How to upgrade to Xen 4.0.1 on Centos 5.5 ?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:04:56 +0700
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 02:05:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Bob Sauvage <bob.sauvage@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I have again a stupid question ;)

Not stupid at all :)

> What is the difference between a xenified kernel and a pv_ops kernel ?
>
> Thanks :)

This page has some explanation: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

Short version: xenified kernel is the "old" way of doing things. It
uses a set of intrusive patches to make Linux kernel xen-compatible.
It's proven, more tested, and thus (in my experience anyway) more
stable. But it's also harder to maintain (being not not part of Linux
kernel). Novell is pretty much the only guys maintaining an up-to-date
newer kernel (>= 2.6.34) version, while Redhat provides bug and
security fixes only for their 2.6.18 kernel-xen.

pv_ops is the "new" way of doing things, utilizing the new pv_ops
framework in Linux kernel that is also used by other virtualization
solutions (like Vmware). The final goal for pv_ops kernel is to have
all components needed to run as dom0 kernel to be part of the vanilla
Linux kernel. Currently vanilla Linux kernel can run as domU without
modifications, but additional patches are still needed to have it run
as dom0 kernel. Being relatively new and under heavy defelopment,
don't be surprised if it still has lots of bugs. This is the
"officially" supported kernel, thus also where citrix guys (esp.
Jeremy Fitzhardinge) spends their resources on.

Personally, in it's current state, I'd rather use xenified kernel. YMMV though.

--
Fajar