Re: [Xen-users] Migrate existing Windows XP VirtualBox VM to Xen

To: Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Migrate existing Windows XP VirtualBox VM to Xen
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:52:46 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 03:54:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Juan Luis Baptiste
<juan.baptiste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What could I be missing ? for what I have read over the internet it
> should be that simple, convert the VDI disk to raw, setup a config
> file liked the one I have and fire it up.

Where did you read that?

> Also most of topics found on
> the internet related to this are more of installation instead of
> migration, so I'm out of ideas now.

Start with removing virtualbox guest addition first (if you have it
installed on Windows guest) before doing any conversion. Then read
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows , the most important
part being:
- HAL (the easiest way to be solv it is by setting acpi, apic, and
pae=1 as Felix mentioned)
- hard disk support (which can be solved by installing IDE drivers on
Windows guest before doing any conversion).

After that, proceed with the conversion method (only one of the disk
conversion methods should be necessary) that you've tried.

--
Fajar