[Xen-users] hopleless search for kernel for XCP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] hopleless search for kernel for XCP
From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:43:57 +0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:45:58 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:subject:from:to:content-type :date:message-id:mime-version:x-mailer:content-transfer-encoding; bh=QNGIeEYYzgW9h6yJUfXoBN03MX7/dj8kkrYG4FmdMY8=; b=uje/kz3f30RufogQuAbjoY6x9ZUAAREugYe+KH5Nzn3cRXm3H8YUM4Tt4eH+lNUVF6 LDfrPv9T/kDrSNve4V+eRL33yiGjBmF106JZQjjXpuw+e3jRIv71dPwSQGhBbvDz0YV5 oR2v6VdqNhZfX/F699CFvi8zUvEk+TJkXgoAw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Good day.

I spend about 6 weeks trying to find, compile or adopt kernel for XCP
PV-machines.

I search kernel with following conditions:
1) Normal support for maxmem (ability to raise memory amount beyond
value at boot time), so any pv_ops kernel is not good. (I check kernel
version with memory hotplug but it was incompatible with  Xen 3.4 within
XCP).

2) Normal report of free memory. This is bug of all debian *-xen
kernels; at certain value of free memory oom suddenly appear and kill
innocent processes, value depends on static-max value (static-max=15GiB
cause oom at value around 500-600MiB).

3) Normal migration. Some of kernels freeze after migration (pings with
0 time, packet loss, tcp retransmissions)

4) Fake ARP support (some of tested kernels lack them).

I test all debian kernels, I check RHEL kernels, I check self-compiled
kernels with different patches and original kernel as it builds by
xen-unstable.hg makefile. Of course, I test default kernel from
xs-tools.iso.

All was useless.

... Until I test SUSE kernel (2.6.34-12). It works perfectly. But only
in SUSE. I check CentOS 5.4 and Debian Lenny with this kernel (I check
binary version and source recompiling) - it make kernel panic at suspend
exit after migration....

SUSE is fine, but I really like to see and use Debian/Centos... So I
asking someone: does anyone have fully working kernel for XCP???

Thank you.

---
wBR, George.