AW: [Xen-users] Did anyone succeeded in installing xen 4.0.0 on Debian L

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Meister Schieber <meisterschieber@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: [Xen-users] Did anyone succeeded in installing xen 4.0.0 on Debian Lenny?
From: Carsten Schiers <carsten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 07:47:15 +0200
Cc: Meister Schieber <meisterschieber@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>, Mark Adams <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 22:48:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

it definitely works. I am not sure though, whether we talk about distro xen and
distro
kernels here.

What I confirm working is: Debian Etch and Lenny, Xen 4 self-compiled with
XenLinux 2.6.18
Kernerls. It's no miracle, thanks to Pasis XenWiki pages. Install tools, hg
pull the source,
make xen tools (at least), ./install.sh. Remember to setup the Xen network
scripts correctly.

Be very careful when using the options Pasi is describing. Be aware, whether
you put in a Xen
or a Kernel option. Read the logs carefully. Check with lspci in Dom0 and DomU.

What doesn't work is handling devices with MSI in Lenny distro Xen/Kernel. Use
pci=nomsi
as Kernel option and it should work with Lenny Xen kernel. It is the basis of a
German
distri (c't server) and should work, although I still prefer XenLinux 2.6.18
for my DomUs
that use PCI passthrough (for NICs and DVB-C cards).

Be aware about the udev mechanism to create new entries in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules (or similar). You might have ended up
with severeal entries and your NIC is not
eth0, because the DomU was started with a Xen virtual device before, or some,
as Xen sets
a random MAC address.

What is not working for me currently, is: pvops and PCI passthrough, but some
of the DomUs
are running a pvops 2.6.32 Kernel in parallel. I did not really try PCI
passthrough with
XenLinux 2.6.32, but sucessfully compiled it and run it w/o PCI passthrough.

Hope this makes you a bit more confident in solving the problem instead of
giving up ;o).

If you already knew about all these things, please excuse.

BR,
Carsten.