[Xen-users] Re: Considering Xen for Ubuntu VPS environment

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Considering Xen for Ubuntu VPS environment
From: Michael Lueck <mlueck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:32:55 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:34:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
David Markey wrote:
If you have the version of pygrub out of Xen 4.0.1,

1) You run the version of the kernel distributed by Ubuntu(thanks to pv_ops)

Excellent!

Does pv_ops use Intel VT or AMD-V (hardware-assisted virtualization)? I heard
that might get around some of the limitations Virtuozzo has locked us into.

2) I dont see how ACLs wouldnt be supported by the filesystem.

In Virtuozzo, the filesystem in the guest OS is not mounted via /etc/fstab in the guest OS, but rather its definition is in the Virtozzo administrative interface, and thus only supports the things that Virtuozzo supports.

In the version of Virtuozzo we happen to be dealing with, ACL's are not
supported.

3) You have full access to the server console through /dev/hvc0

And tools come with Xen to be able to connect to that device over the Internet?

4) Distro level upgrades(as in from 10.04 to 10.10) *could* break the booting process. this is true.

Same as distro upgrades in general, or are there Xen twists thrown in "for
bonus"?

I would assume it would be possible to do the server console connect in #3) and
attempt to fix said problem. Thus you are not totally locked out ever.

Perhaps could get into trouble if for example a grub --> grub2 upgrade went south, which I had to recently boot off of a GUI LiveCD to fix that condition. Not possible to boot off of a GUI LiveCD of Ubuntu in that case. hhhmmm....

Thanks much for the quick answers! Much appreciated!

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems