Re: [Xen-users] DomU network dies

To: Olav Lavell <olav@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU network dies
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 07:23:15 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 17:24:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Olav Lavell <olav@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A few days ago I installed Debian Squeeze (amd64) with the Xen kernel and
> Xen 4 (from the Debian repos) on a small computer. I used Xen-tools to
> create a DomU (also Squeeze/amd64) which is now my e-mail and web server.
> This is all purely for hobbyist/educational use.

> I tried to use "post-up ethtool -K eth0 tx off" in the
> /etc/network/interfaces file of the DomU, because the comment says it
> "might resolve problems for some users." It doesn't in my case.

try doing it on dom0 as well.

> Because I am quite new to Xen I have no clue about how to troubleshoot
> this situation. My attempts at googling probably were a little uneducated
> as well. Any hints would be appreciated. If I need to post log files,
> configuration files or any command output I will gladly do so as well.
>
> I have thought of "downgrading" to Debian Lenny (after all, Squeeze is
> still the "testing" distro) and Xen 3.2 (I prefer to use whatever version
> of Xen that Debian offers as packages).

The thing I'm not sure Debian is the "best" distro for people like
you, who like to use the distro's packages and would like it to "just
work". I'd actually recommend you simply use Centos5. Others on this
list have suggested Opensuse 11.3, but with updated kernel from
opensuse kotd. Or even Fedora 13, with third-party RPMs.

If you're willing to compile from source, you can use latest Xen and
pv_ops kernel. See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0 ,
tutorials section in particular.

> But will I be able to just copy my
> DomU files (images and configuration) over to the "older" version and still
> use them?

Should be possible, regardles of what your dom0 distro is.

--
Fajar