Re: [Xen-users] Cloning VM from Xen

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

 >     eth1
               No configuration found for eth1                        unused

since you change the MAC address, it's now recognized as a new ethernet device.

 Waiting for mandatory devices:  eth-id-00:16:3e:00:00:12 __NSC__
 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
     eth-id-00:16:3e:00:00:12            No interface found           failed
 Setting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . failed

... while it still keeps track of the old device.

This situation also happens if you manually replace the NIC on a real
server. I'm not familiar enough with SLES to help you here. Perhaps
there's a menu in yast to delete a network configuration and setup a
new one? For this particular issue you should contact Novell (or at
least fellow SLES/opensuse user) and ask them how to (re)configure
network when you replace an exisiting NIC with a new one.

I'd assume that SLES (like most modern Linux distros) uses udev - in which case look somewhere like /etc/udev/rules.d. In Debian, the network config (MAC <-> I/F mapping) is in a file called <something>persistent-net.rules in that directory.

Just edit this and put the new mac in the line that defines the old eth1, and delete the 'new' NIC. There's probably some means of reloading stuff after this, but rebooting does it for me.

Worst case, try 'grep -ri 00:16:3e:00:00:00 /etc' - putting your old mac address in place of all the zeros.!

--
Simon Hobson