Re: [Xen-users] Trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on centos 5.5 w/ xen4.0

To: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on centos 5.5 w/ xen4.0
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:04:10 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:05:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As the title states, I am trying to install a PV ubuntu 10.04 domu on my
> centos 5.5 xen 4.0 dom0. The steps I have attempted are as follows:

> 6 - grabbed the virtualized kernel and ramdisk from another running physical
> machine to use in step 7.

You can just copy it from the domU you just installed.

> 7 - cat ubuntu.xen.running
> name = "ubuntu-test"
> memory = 2048
> disk = ['phy:/dev/domuvg/ubuntu-pv,xvda,w' ]
> vif = [ 'bridge=br2' ]
> kernel = "/etc/xen/ubuntu-kernel/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-server"
> ramdisk = "/etc/xen/ubuntu-kernel/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-server"

there's no "extra" line. How does the kernel suppose to know where the
root filesystem is?

> Is there an easier way to do this than with the "kernel" and
> "ramdisk" options? I don't want to deal with the pygrub issue with grub2
> unless I just absolutely have to.

- install grub on domU. makes your life easier. The "extra" line above
should be whatever that comes after "vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-server" on
menu.lst, with the most important ones being "root" and "console"
- use pygrub/pv-grub

Although I'm not sure whether your version of pygrub/pv-grub would
have support for ext4 (which is the default for Ubuntu Lucid). I
usually get around this by having a dedicated /boot with ext3.

--
Fajar