Re: [Xen-users] Xen thinks 32 bit windows is 64 bit...

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen thinks 32 bit windows is 64 bit...
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:00:59 +0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 03:03:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Fantu <fantonifabio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> in your config i see this:
> device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
> you actual use 64 qemu, is domU is 32 bit you must use 32 bit if i not wrong

That shouldn't be it. I use

device_model = '/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

on all my HVM domUs, whether 32 or 64bit.

> Morten Rønseth-2 wrote:
>> "Attempting to load x64 Operating system, however, this system does not
>> have the APIC configured."
>>
>> Now, I have apic configured, and the image contains a 32 bit version of
>> 2003 server, not 64 bits. All other images I have run just fine.
>> The troubled image ran fine also, prior to update/reboot.

I never had that error message. At this point the best I can suggest is :
(1) setup another Xen box with the version of Xen/kernel-xen that you
had before you upgrade, and copy your domU image there. To be frank, I
doubt even that would work, but at least that's something you can try.
(2) Setup a fresh Windows 2003 32bit, witch similar domU config file,
on your upgraded box.

Test #1 will confirm whether or not the disk image is actually OK.
Test #2 will confirm whether the upgraded Xen can run 32bit HVM domUs correctly.

My GUESS is that something happens on your domU side. Perhaps someone
installed another program which modifies the disk's MBR?

--
Fajar