Re: [Xen-users] VT-x not found..

To: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VT-x not found..
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:19:03 +0200
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 01:19:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 01 June 2010 01:45:46 Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
> this email in error.
>
> On 01/06/10 00:43, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

> >> Hmm I just threw in a Ubuntu live CD there and vmx is showing....
> >> Something must be dud in that Xen 3.4.2 source that i downloaded...

> > Ok this is starting to bug me...
> >
> > I installed Ubuntu 10.04 onto my server. I then spent a couple of
> > hours compiling and installing Xen 4.0. Now yet again, vmx has
> > disappeared from /proc/cpuinfo!!!!
> >
> > Xend isn't working correctly, but that's another issue, so I can't
> > really test any HVM guests.
> >
> > Buggy BIOS??

> Actually, maybe this is correct with newer version of Xen:
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ#How_can_I_tell_if_I_have_Intel_VT_or_AMD-
> V.3F

Ha, didn't know that: "The Xen hypervisor suppresses these flags in order to
prevent hijacking" - not even sure what this hijacking is - being taken over
by another hypervisor? Anyway, at least you know now the flags are active as
long as you check with a regular kernel.