Re: [Xen-users] Anyone able to NFS boot on xen 4.x ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Anyone able to NFS boot on xen 4.x ?
From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 19:13:10 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:14:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am using NFS root filesystem for many of my domUs on XEN 4.0.0 for
rescue systems.

It's just as it should be:

domu.cfg:

# General information:
name       = "Rescue"
memory     = 2048
vcpus      = 4

# Boot configuration:
kernel     = "/mnt/public/xen/linux-rescue"
root       = "/dev/nfs"
nfs_root   = "/mnt/rescue"

# Additional configuration:
nographic  = "yes"
timer_mode = 1

# Kernel network configuration:
interface  = "eth0"
ip         = "10.157.0.1"
netmask    = "255.252.0.0"
gateway    = "10.156.0.1"
hostname   = "rescue.domain"
nfs_server = "10.156.0.1"

# Network interfaces:
vif        = [ "mac=00:16:3e:9d:00:01,vifname=vif-rescue" ]

# Virtual disks:
disk       = [ ]

Some things you need to do:

1. Root filesystem over NFS support in the domU kernel
2. NFS export on Dom0 ro or rw and only IP-based authentification
3. Use NFSv3; NFSv4 has no root-fs support without an initrd and many
extra settings.
4. Network settings must be correct at boot time (kernel level
autoconfiguration), so have to adopt my settings to your network setup
(mine is routing with internal IPs, NAT and much firewalling, far away
from default bridging)

Regards,
Felix Kuperjans