Re: [Xen-users] Test - how many XEN VPS can run on my server

To: "Shvayakov A." <a.shvayakov@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Test - how many XEN VPS can run on my server
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:44:40 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 May 2010 20:46:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Shvayakov A. <a.shvayakov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to know how many XEN VPS can run on my server:
> CPU: 2 x Xeon X5650  2.67GHz
> MEMORY: 36Gb
> HDD: Adaptec 5405Z MaxIQ (SSD Cache) RAID10 2TB

> Up to 30 VPS, I observe a smooth change of parameters, but after 30 VPS
> the  tests results are beginning to jump

How did you determine that? apache benchmark results?

> and  I can see that much of the
> VPS is blocked.

"r" is shown when a domU actually uses a CPU. Since you have two 6 (?)
core CPUs, if you enabled hypterhread, it might show up to 24 domUs in
"r" state. It's normal that other domUs will be in "b" state.

> I have not much experience with XEN
> This is normal, 30 VPS is my limit, or I have a bug?

I'd start by looking at disk statistics. It's possible that you're
running out of disk IOPS. Try "iostat -x 3" on dom0, and see if disk
utilization is at 100%.
After that, look at dom0's memory and CPU usage. Is dom0 CPU usage at
100%? is dom0 using swap?

--
Fajar