Re: [Xen-users] domu does not starts after dom0 reboot

To: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domu does not starts after dom0 reboot
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 10:37:47 +0700
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 May 2010 20:38:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having a Xen dom0 running created 5 DomU and they all were
> running successfully.
> I rebooted 3 of DomU were up.2 did not come up.

Did the 3 domUs restarted, or are they completely unaware that dom0
was rebooted? My guess is it's the second.

> This is a frequent
> situation with me when I reboot some dom's do not start. While some
> do.
> What is the root cause of this I know I can always open command prompt
> and type xm create domu.cfg
> some where on Xen wiki I read to autostart domains always you need a
> softlink /etc/xen/auto
>  I do not have any soft link neither do I want to have

It's like going to the docter and say "doctor, my head is bleeding,
but I don't want you to stich it".

While it's perfectly your right to do that, it'll reduce the chance
that others will want to help you. And even those who wants to will
probably be unable to due to your predefined restrictions.

> Then in this case why did some domains started and some failed to
> start.The behavior of all doms should be same.Either after reboot they
> don't start any one or all are start.I do not want a fix for this I
> want to know the root cause of why is it happening.

Here's some things you might want to look at:
- some domUs startup are managed by files/sysmlinks to their config
file in /etc/xen/auto. Others are managed by xend.
- some distros default to shutdown domU and start it later, while
others default to SAVE and restore domUs later.

My guess is that you have xend-managed domUs, defaults to save domUs
during dom0 shutdown, but don't have the necessary disk space to save
all domUs memory. xend.log should give you an idea of what's wrong,
look for entries around the time dom0 is restarted.

--
Fajar