Re: [Xen-users] server performance slow

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am using Apache2 on Debian Lenny.
> I have a reverse proxy scenario.
> The server I have is quite powerful in terms of hardware. 8GB Ram and
> Quad core processor.

"powerful" is relative :P
For example, I have a server with 64GB RAM and 2xquad core.

> The problem coming right now is
> http://www.myserver.com and http://www.myserver.com/app1 is being
> served from the server I mentioned above.
> there are also
>
> http://myserver.com/app2
> http://myserver.com/app3
> http://myserver.com/app4
> which are being reverse proxied at gateway and their performance is quite
> fast.
> I am not running any application on any of the servers.Simple apache2
> with a default index page on all of the above.
> The page from http://www.myserver.com and http://www.myserver.com/app1
> takes a loooooong time to upload.

In your case, I'd start by checking whether those apps work fine in
normal, non-xen servers with similar resource (CPU, memory). Quite
possible the problem comes from app/database combination.

On Xen side, make sure that you're running it as PV guest (not HVM)
and make sure disk/network performance is acceptable (using tools like
dd, iperf, or some other tools of your choice).

--
Fajar