Re: [Xen-users] how can you boot an existing linux domU off the cdrom on

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how can you boot an existing linux domU off the cdrom on sles11 dom0?
From: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:28:53 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:40:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 15:14 -0500, Donny Brooks wrote:

> On Thursday, April 22, 2010 03:06 PM CDT, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 15:02 -0500, Steven Timm wrote:
> > > What type of file system does the domU have, it may be possilbe
> > > to stop the domU and mount the file system on dom0 and make
> > > the change that way.
> > >
> > > Steve
> >
> > I was thinking that too and I can mount the filesystem, but the domU
> > needs to be booted with the new devices attached to see how to change
> > fstab/menu.lst.
> >
> > James

> Booting a domu from "CD" should be easy. I do it all the time but I
> use iso files instead. Basically, just edit your config file for the
> specific domu to include the /dev/cdrom (in the case of a physical
> drive) or the iso location and change the boot order. These vary
> depending on if you use libvirt, xen-tools, or other on exactly how
> you edit it though.

It should be, but in practice hasn't been for me. Let me ask you this.
There seems to be multiple ways to modify the environment. On my servers
I currently use virt-manager for starting and stopping vms. You can also
make some changes to configs, which is where I added the pass through
for the scsi card. I assume this updates the xen store?

You can also do the following:
xm list -l vmname > vmname.conf
xm delete vmname
edit the conf file as needed
xm new -F vmname.conf

Then there's also some type of configuration file under /etc/xen/vm that
looks like:
name="vmtest03"
uuid="d5bfecad-e163-3661-1732-448c61a6a213"
memory=512
maxmem=512
vcpus=4
on_poweroff="destroy"
on_reboot="restart"
on_crash="destroy"
localtime=0
keymap="en-us"
builder="linux"
bootloader="/usr/lib/xen/boot/domUloader.py"
bootargs="--entry=xvdb1:/boot/vmlinuz-xenpae,/boot/initrd-xenpae"
extra=" "
disk=[ 'phy:/dev/sr0,xvda:cdrom,r',
'file:/var/lib/xen/images/vmtest03/disk1,xvdb,w', ]
vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:29:83:e6,bridge=br0', ]
vfb=['type=vnc,vncunused=1']

So which way are you saying to edit the config? I have no problem using
an iso, but my experience has been, even after adding a cdrom, that it
sill boots from the hard disk, not the specified cdrom.

Can you outline a few steps on how it should work?

Thanks,
James