[Xen-users] Converting AND shrinking domU

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Converting AND shrinking domU
From: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:52:42 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:56:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm currently running xen 3.4 on sles11. I currently use ocfs2, but I'm
going to move away from it because of issues we've been having. Instead,
we'll be assigning LUNs from our san to the xen servers and domU's will
essentially have their own disk. This puts a lot more space requirements
in play. With that in mind, I want to shrink a lot of our domUs.

I've experimented with windows and been fairly successful at backing up
the windows domU and restoring it with clonezilla, including shrinking
the drives by restoring to smaller disks.

I have not had much luck converting my linux (sles) domUs. Any
suggestions for making this happen?

sparse file based linux(sles) domU --> shrink --> block device based
linux(sles) domU

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James