Re: [Xen-users] boot MS Windows installed natively in its own partition

To: Aggelos <marmango@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] boot MS Windows installed natively in its own partition
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:08:58 +0700
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 02:09:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2010/4/21 Aggelos <marmango@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I think I am beginning to get the idea...
> Suppose, before changing any drivers in the native Windows (7)
> installation, I want to give it a trial, how do I start it? I mean, the
> xen configuration, what it should look like, for a Windows native
> installation in /dev/sda[X]?

I highly suggest you do not try it.
For one thing, most Windows version will detect a hardware change when
you run it under virtualization (the same way it'd detect a change if
you move the disk and put it on different computer). That would
usually result in having to reactivate Windows. The only exceptions
that I know if is when using Windows XP/2003 with corporate volume
license key.

Second, you might accidently chose to run dom0 OS under the virtual
environment (example: when Linux entry is set to default, and you
didn't get to domU console in time to choose Windows entry), making
the same disk/partition mounted twice (in dom0 and in domU). That
would lead to data corruption.

If you're aware of those, and want to try it anyway, you need to have
IDE drivers installed first. Otherwise you'd just get blue screen. See
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows for explanation
(applies to Xen as well).

Once you have IDE drivers installed, you can use a domU config similar to this:

########################
memory = 1024

vif = [ '' ]
disk =  [
        'phy:/dev/sda,hda,w!',
        ]

boot="c"

device_model = '/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'

sdl=0
vnc=1