Re: [Xen-users] Best way to go from Physical to Virtual with Fedora 11 o

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Best way to go from Physical to Virtual with Fedora 11 on Centos 5.4 Dom0
From: Rubén Marrero <ruben@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:40:24 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:45:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I would suggest the following:
  1. Mount the original filesystem
  2. run df -h to see what's the actual usage of said filesystem
At this point I create two copies of the original filesystem, one "portable" tar.bz2 and a "fixed" LVM volume.

For the portable image:
  1. create an empty file (dd if=/dev/zero of=live_copy.img bs=1M count= 2048 for a 2Gb filesystem, for example)
  2. create a filesystem on that file (mkfs.ext3 live_copy.img for an ext3 FS)
  3. mount it (mount live_copy.img /mnt/copy -o loop)
  4. rsync between the two (rsync -avz )
  5. umount the image, compress and safely store it.
live_copy.img is a proper filesystem, with permissions, symlinks and whatnot. You can use it as a source for another install, for example.

For the LVM volume: create it , mount it, format it and  rsync between the original filesystem (just like the image). This LVM is to be used as a block device for your DomU

Hope it helps.