Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] xen-3.0.gz and linux-2.6-xen0

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM, jpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <jpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Hello,
>         >
>         >
>         > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen
>         <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>         >         On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:31:16AM +0530, Onkar
>         Mahajan wrote:
>         >         >    What is the difference between
>         >         >    (1) linux-2.6-xen0
>         >
>         >
>         >         linux kernel suitable for being used in dom0.
>
>         Download, configure and compile. Some pre-built kernels are
>         available in
>         many distros.
>         >
>         >         >    (2) xen-3.0.gz
>
>         3.0 is a pretty old one, you should use 3.4.
>         You download the code, load some dependencies, compile and
>         install.
>         For me (debian) the minimal dependencies are :
>         linssl-dev
>         zlib-dev
>         bin86
>         bcc
>         elks-libc
>         python2.5-dev
>         python-xml
>         Many distros have pre-built Xen packages.
>
> Assuming I have all the dependencies installed , how do I generate
> xen-3.4.gz ??
> is this the bzImage renamed to xen-3.4.gz ??
When you install (after compiling or by package) the Xen-x.x.gz is
installed in the right place (/boot partition), you will have to
configure your boot loader to load :
1) XEN
2) the lminux kernel
3) the "initrd"
Different versions of GRUB (or grub2) does have differences in the
"grub.cfg" file and the automatic generation gives bad results for Xen
installation (at least on Debian) and you will have to "hand craft" the
specific portion (On debian add a nice file in /etc/grub.d) or be ready
to redo the work after each automatic modification.
Many explanations on Internet, beware for GRUB's version as there are
some oddities.