RE: [Xen-users] Re-occuring error trying to set up first DOM

To: "'Fajar A. Nugraha'" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re-occuring error trying to set up first DOM
From: Tom Potwin <wxman2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:27:38 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:28:57 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:reply-to:from:to:cc :references:in-reply-to:subject:date:organization:message-id :mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:x-mailer :x-mimeole:thread-index; bh=Kqedf6lE9lCSvE8p+h4lZfF/tX3/VRWAM3TbrNcKozA=; b=WEKb8tOoPOTpniL8DHWbEiR2Xt89+DGORxW26TPGA/Hpzr2nLSSBNNl4MwqA3H5+rI cSd6VK5/G4ntydKosh8CmV169rfUPmNkEPwrXHbb9RPzjrhv7yYtsi2TCMtQlSa9v0oP e2Qv6qIsas/utx/GSv2rhwBRaB/SG3gajcIak=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=reply-to:from:to:cc:references:in-reply-to:subject:date :organization:message-id:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:x-mailer:x-mimeole:thread-index; b=JwDLHSH1ougCTgRY9bvh56r3YbwNn11pEZxtgWTgxCwAG0x4iK7tTdTd2ObhK9Ybgs 3/AXNwIG6f/i6qAz7zh7khqFvWM0No5IWv0kyyevkbfVoHJfEW3yHC+D3/Gvb6P70x0d ZbaerkKhHllYSpULQ2FKTgiLb1fmY65DouE8U=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

Thanks for the response. When I first installed it, I turned on the
backports. What I've tried now is shutting them back off, completely
uninstalling the whole thing, then reinstalled it. After a reboot, and
running the same xen-create-image, I checked lvdisplay and it showed the two
new LV's. Then, when I ran xm create /etc/xen/test1.test.com.cfg I get:
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

After a web search I found this solution in the comments at
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/396:

Now if you try to boot a domU it will fail with:
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

You need to link the xen-backend.rules file in /etc/udev from
/etc/udev/rules.d -
cd /etc/udev/rules.d ; ln -s ../xen-backend.rules xen-backend.rules

This will make the vif error go away, now you'll be getting cannot mount fs
errors, unknown block device. This is because the initrd is now required for
your domU to boot, so add this to your domU config file(s):
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-2-xen-686"

After reading that, I uninstalled/reinstalled to start fresh. This time I
made the fixes as I went. Now it's working perfectly.

Tom