Re: Re: [Xen-users] Where to start.

To: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: [Xen-users] Where to start.
From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 08:53:39 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 00:54:45 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:received:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=XAh1fCkiLNilFD9Xyj90qWxkunMA9cysRDZVD44IhHQ=; b=YGA4/ZxMajfXfAthroSk7cGUIWPsKLc1TJxKKr16FW5FWw8mGbh+zQshiKCF10Ubmu bDswyFbzC2IVz1rrFSMRNdF7zH1QsLEteFm6KOd4+4hYJ7iPV4tIdV8AQJZYTmdI0DLA vqT045pHOoD2vbqaErqjxWPl5SUrxsSVu2xJY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 3 April 2010 08:33, Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ...My Linux is stable
> Ok - but,
> xen is not a host operating system - it is only a small hypervisor "under"
> your OS (i.e. Linux) which handles (shared) access to hardware ressources -
> it is not a operating system in a classical meaning. If your prefer Linux as
> your "host" OS you can use XEN Linux - if you prefer i.e. NetBSD on the
> "host" side you can use XEN NetBSD. Your host Linux will use it's origin
> hardware drivers to access your bare metal hardware - not a emulated one as
> known from full virtualization solutions.

Thanks for that. I now feel re-assured!

> btw:
> >From a view of "stability" of your host OS all other virtualization
> >solutions for Linux are modifying your linux kernel in any way (i.e. by own
> >modules) which (by principe) potentially could "destabilize" your OS kernel.

Yes, I realized that... and seeing as how I want to have Windows as a
guest, I guessed I
wouldn't find a 'tweaked' OS around. Hence I needed 'full
virtualization' (I think). Darned
terminology, every time you move into a new domain of interest :-)

> I assume you will clearify possible misunderstandings of how xen works if you
> try it...

I doubt running it will do that. I certainly need to do some more reading.
http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Xen_Virtualization_Essentials
seems worth it
but a little out of date?

>>> New to Xen.
>>> Confused about the base architecture.
> Just try it - If you want to dig a little bit deeper then ideally by play
> around with the xen and kernel sources byself...

One Linux is enough for me (bear of tiny brain). I need windows for odd apps,
and am curious about Windows 7, it's getting a good reputation.

>>> implies that xen runs closest to hardware
> yes, a little bit like your BIOS too...

Nearly. Long time back I wrote an OS for some dedicated hw, in assembler,
with all its drivers. I'm fairly happy next to the hardware.. .Just
not with the x86
setup and it's VT ideas.

>> My assumptions probably. My Linux is stable, I'd like to keep my
>> machine that way, hence wanted Linux at the 'top of the heap, if
>> you see what I mean.
>
>>> My goal is Fedora as the host,
> Then just "do it" and use Xen with Fedora / Fedora with Xen...
>
> hth,
> Good luck,

Definately Niels. Tks.
Also found another workaround for the tools/curl problem.

Workaround:

disable libcurl.so.4 in VMWare, e.g.

mv /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libcurl.so.4 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libcurl.so.4.DISABLE

P.S. Leave the certs untouched, you can install the vmware tools.

HTH others.

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.