[Xen-users] Xen and VMware Workstation

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen and VMware Workstation
From: "Rommel M. Martinez" <ebzzry@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:50:46 +0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:29:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi! I want to run a Xen Dom0 (and DomUs) inside VMware Workstation. I
used Debian for this and had the Xen-related packages installed with
it. When I booted the VM using the Xen kernel, I get the following
message from VMware Workstation:

  A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a
  physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect
  configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system or
  a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to restart the
  virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.

1- What could be causing this?
2- Are there things that I need to tweak to make things work?
3- I currently have limited access to extra physical machines that's
   why I'm using a solution like VMware Workstation
4- The VM boots well using the vanilla kernel and other kernels (e.g.,
   OpenVZ).
5- Does this have anything to do with Xen's compatibility with VMware
   Workstation?

--
Rommel M. Martinez
http://www.bespin.org/~ebzzry