Re: [Xen-users] Re:Xen with Debian Power Edge R710

To: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re:Xen with Debian Power Edge R710
From: Costas Drogos <costas.drogos@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:45:54 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 04:47:27 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=gHATu9kEqFzbPChj+ItFtEqLhlrq/49fBF7Px4uHXVo=; b=F70k4JbBhwIl7tr42dadRa3iDS0wESoYLg7nTY9NJ5BkubkNyI7AC0x+qkMUJbF9pW lTCrP6+a6DalSUMGMXH+VFWT3JbL+AJj28oLOYArbqT5GU/z3zXLzytwEkle6KnTwYhb Ue0Bo3QQQRsZtsxJxf7x/pa4GcZ01ArwPbHEc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 08:53, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My problem is I want to install Debian on Nehalem Processor I have a
> Dell Power Edge R710 machine to test Virtualization on it but I am not
> clear with which architecture should I download the DVD is it AMD64,or
> i386 since
>  as far as I know this processor uses EMT64 instructions which are
> similar for AMD machine also it  has Intel®  Xeon®  5500 series
> processors I googled debian for xeon  got a link
> [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/ia64-or-amd64-xeon-352008/[/url]
> but this has not helped much the intel link which it redirects to
> [url]http://developer.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/[/url]
> does not exists.
> Had a look on the following link also which is relevant to my problem.
> So my problem is I need to install Debian on the above machine which
> architecture should I download the DVD for?
> Some one who has already installed please let me know which
> architecture have they used.
>
> --
> Tapas

Hello there,
In my job we have two R710s with XEN/Debian amd64 with ~25 domUs each
and they work like a charm.
Debian stable kernel (2.6.26) & hypervisor (3.2)

Have in mind that the Debian installer does not have the firmware for
the network card (in case you use an netinstall cd) and you have to
plug a usb flash with it, when asked during the installation.

ia64 needs an Itanium processor. You can install amd64 or x86 architectures.

--
Costas Drogos