[Xen-users] Hardware setup for dom0 boxes

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Hardware setup for dom0 boxes
From: Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:37:54 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:38:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Im hoping to get a few hardware setups for building new xen boxes.
Below are what I could come up with so far, wondering what else people
are running, or if people are running any of these, how etc. Any info
would be great!

Method 1
-------------
raid-1 #1 - to run vm images
raid-1 #2 - to store the backups of the images

ie two 640g raid1s, i would backup the images to the second raid, then
have a remote backup box back those up

Method 2
-------------
raid-1 to run vm images

Same as method 1, 640g raid1, remote backup box to come around and
backup the images of the running virts

Method 3
-------------
san based, whether carving out AoE using lvm, or iscsi or nfs (i would
only mount a volume on a single box at a time)

Backup in this method im unclear on, if i did aoe/iscsi then that
would mean i could backup files on the san unit unless i had a
clusterfs to mount it, but i could do an lvm snapshot and then read
that right?

I also realize there are (at least?) two backup types or whatever,
disaster recovery and file level. I would ideally do both, backup the
entire disk image, and then also have the ability to backup the file
data inside of those.

Anyway, ive read a lot of different ways to house stuff, but i didnt
really pay attention to hardware specs or setups NOT using a san/nas.
Hope im not blabbering too much
=)

Thanks!