Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.3, AMD and PCI passthrough

To: Kalle Happonen <kalle.happonen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.3, AMD and PCI passthrough
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:56:23 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:58:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 03:46:31PM +0100, Kalle Happonen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm running Xen on a HP DL385G6 machine. I use Centos 5.4 on the dom0,
> which comes with the seemingly old 3.0.3 (accoring to rpm) version of
> xen.(Although another thread just said: RHEL5 has Xen hypervisor version
> 3.1.2 + tools version 3.0.3.)
>
> The machine runs a pair of AMD Istanbuls (Six-Core AMD Opteron(tm)
> Processor 2431). I have an Ininiband card on the machine which I would
> like to pass on to a domU. When I try to attach the pci device to the
> domu, I get the following output though..
>
> xm pci-attach jade 0000:48:00.0
> Error: failed to assign device: maybe the platform doesn't support VT-d,
> or VT-d isn't enabled properly?
> Usage: xm pci-attach <Domain> <domain:bus:slot.func> [virtual slot]
>
> Insert a new pass-through pci device.
>
> If I have understood correctly, this new AMDs should support it though.
> The virtualization option has been enabled in the BIOS.
>
> Looking at xm dmesg, however, I get the following

> (XEN) HVM: SVM enabled
> (XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected and enabled.
> (XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled
>
> I have tried adding "amd_enable_iommu=1" to grub, but it doesn't seem to
> help. Is the version of xen too old to support this? If so, how big of a
> task is it to upgrade xen, and which version would be required? Sticking
> with the stock version would be nice from the security update point of
> view.

Please paste the full "xm dmesg" log.
Are you sure your hardware has IOMMU, that is required for IO virtualization?

Also I think only the very latest Xen versions (aka upcoming Xen 4.0.0) has
support for AMD IOMMUs..

Dunno if Redhat has backported AMD IOMMU support to their Xen version.

-- Pasi