Re: [Xen-users] using base ISO as a domU

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] using base ISO as a domU
From: Ritu kaur <ritu.kaur.us@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:56:57 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 09:58:39 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=bovoGjAmIVsxyixcj4MIVAF6el5/dnvfuXmeThyNrfk=; b=P+xr/iNTFTa7wkRAkATQ5uZ1WngbQ6445pNcPK2YPO2M6QBM49VwPlN2pykD+hZ+8I 6iEDjF87uqMmyPrN08meEhFc2ti82EmPaO45j+XAOsI6c4ePJjWQgkqpOcLCf+pysXeO amt4ICgdhQDlxw5geNGflywdBrf+oqtzS+y9g=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Fajar,

Replies inline...

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Ritu kaur <ritu.kaur.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am planning to use base ISO which is available from xen.org

Do you mean XCP ISO?

> as a domU(i.e
> basically take this ISO image and install as a VM).

Why?
It's intended to run on bare metal, not as a VM.

In dom0 kernel source/build I do see *front drivers being included and thought I could use it as domU VM as well.

> Not sure whether it
> works hence thought of checking.

It can work as HVM domU, but performance-wise it'd suck. Still useful
for testing purposes though.

> If it works, what template should I choose
> if I install from Citrix Xencenter.

any 64bit HVM OS template should work, as long as it has pae and acpi on.

I actually want PV.

> Since this ISO comes with a source code
> as well it would be easier to rebuild the kernel and test our modules(one
> for dom0 and one for domU). Inputs much appreciated.

If you're thinking about using custom kernels, you might be better off
using a linux distro that comes with xen (opensuse, centos, ...)

I basically want custom kernel and couldn't find information on building/installing as a domU using Citrix template(the ones I see in centos.org are using "xm" cli which will not work since my dom0 is a Citrix Xenserver). Any pointers will be very helpful.

Thanks

--
Fajar