Re: [Xen-users] Windows domU opitimization

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows domU opitimization
From: Sylvain Viollat <sviollat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:23:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:26:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks all for your answers. I'll give the different options a try & post an update on the list asap

Sylvain.

James Harper a écrit :
Hello,

I'm new to Xen and after properly configured a couple of Linux based
VMs, I'm giving a try to a Windows XP domU.

Installation is going just fine, network performances are pretty good
after installing the gplpv driver (1Gb link properly recognized), but
opening a session and usage is very slow through RDP.

In your boot.ini file, add /PATCHTPR to the boot line, eg:

Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /patchtpr

This may give you some speed increase depending on the CPU you are
using.

/PATCHTPR activates a feature in gplpv that patches the windows kernel
to avoid using a certain hardware register (Task PRiority). Access to
the register is very slow, and it is accessed very frequently.

James